Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
| The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps buy food for your family. It is designed to raise nutritional levels and assist in the well-being of individuals in low-income households.
Who Can Get SNAP?
Families and individuals can receive this benefit. Eligibility is based on factors such as family size, assets (checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, etc.), income, and expenses.
Ohio Direction CardSupplemental Nutrition Assistance Benefits are issued through the Ohio Direction Card. The Ohio Direction Card is a debit card. Customers cannot use more benefits than they are eligible to receive. When families use the card at the grocery store, the purchase is automatically deducted from their monthly benefit.
The Ohio Direction Card can be used at all grocery stores that display the Ohio Direction Card at their location.
As a recipient of Food Assistance, you are required to report any changes within 10 days of that change to avoid a potential fraud investigation. Changes include household members moving in or out, address changes, changes in your household expenses, and income changes.
You may report changes in any of the following ways:
- E-mail information to LUCAS_DOCUMENTS@jfs.ohio.gov
- Mail information to LCDJFS, P.O. Box 10007, Toledo, Ohio 43699-0007
- Fax changes to 419-213-8820
- Drop Box located next to Entrance A at 3737 W. Sylvania Ave., Toledo, Ohio 43623
- Calling our agency at 1-844-640-6446 Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Login or Create your own Self-Service Portal account at the Ohio Benefits website
- Bring in your verifications to be scanned Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 3737 W. Sylvania Ave., Toledo, Ohio 43623
What can be bought with help from the supplemental nutrition assistance program?Food, as well as seeds and plants to grow food.
You cannot use your Ohio Direction card to buy:
- Pet food
- Paper products
- Household goods such as cleaning supplies
- Food sold to be heated while you are still in the grocery store
- Alcohol, tobacco, vitamins and medicines
When you apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance you will need to bring some verifications with you to complete the application process. Typically the items include:
- Your original Birth Certificate
- Your original Social Security card
- Proof of age and citizenship
- Proof of any income you receive
- Proof of assets, such as bank account statements
- Proof of housing costs and address
- Proof of any child support benefits
- Proof of disability (if you claim it)
What are the income guidelines?
Households whose gross monthly income is within 130% of the federal poverty level guidelines.
It is a crime to trade or sell the Ohio Direction Card, use someone’s card without authorization, and use the Ohio Direction Card to buy non- food items.
In accordance with Federal law and USDA policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, nation origin, sex, age, religious beliefs, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or call (202) 720-5964.
If you are having problems regarding your Ohio Direction Card (the new food stamp card) please call 1-866-386-3071.
Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (PDF)
Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (Spanish) (PDF)
Apply for benefits online
Cash and SNAP Assistance Standards Help Sheet (PDF)
Lucas County Food Assistance Resource Guide