Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps buy food for your family. It is designed to raise nutritional levman holding groceriesels and assist in the well-being of individuals in low-income households.

Who Can Get SNAP?

Families and individuals can receive this benefit. Eligibility is based on factors such as family size, assets (checking and savings accounts, stocks and bonds, etc.), income, and expenses. 


Ohio Direction Card

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Benefits are issued through the Ohio Direction Card. The Ohio Direction Card is a debit card. Customers cannot use more benefits than they are eligible to receive. When families use the card at the grocery store, the purchase is automatically deducted from their monthly benefit.
The Ohio Direction Card can be used at all grocery stores that display the Ohio Direction Card at their location.

Ohio Department of Job and Family Services has confirmed which retail stores have stepped up during the COVID-19 pandemic and now have added the SNAP Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card option for online ordering. The SNAP recipient will be able to use the online ordering service to order their food and pick up curbside or in some cases inside the store. The recipient may be able to pay outside if the retailer has the mobile point-of-sale device or the recipient may have to go inside to pay to pick up their order. These options do assist with limiting the contact with other people and having to spend a lot of time in the store shopping for the selections.

The following retailers have confirmed that they are providing this service:
  • Giant Eagle - All locations within Ohio
  • Walmart - All locations within Ohio
  • Kroger - Specific locations in Ohio. Please see the link below for a list of local stores.
Ohio SNAP/EBT Kroger Pickup Locations (PDF)

In addition, Ohio is working on finalizing a more permanent online solution with FNS and our EBT vendor for online ordering and payments. We will communicate this new process once approved and ready for implementation.

What can be bought with help from the supplemental nutrition assistance program?

Food, as well as seeds and plants to grow food.

You cannot use your Ohio Direction card to buy:

  • Pet food
  • Paper products
  • Household goods such as cleaning supplies
  • Food sold to be heated while you are still in the grocery store
  • Alcohol, tobacco, vitamins and medicines

When you apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance you will need to bring some verifications with you to complete the application process. Typically the items include:

  • Your original Birth Certificate
  • Your original Social Security card
  • Proof of age and citizenship
  • Proof of any income you receive
  • Proof of assets, such as bank account statements
  • Proof of housing costs and address
  • Proof of any child support benefits
  • Proof of disability (if you claim it)

What are the income guidelines?

Households whose gross monthly income is within 130% of the federal poverty level guidelines. 
It is a crime to trade or sell the Ohio Direction Card, use someone’s card without authorization, and use the Ohio Direction Card to buy non- food items.

In accordance with Federal law and USDA policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, nation origin, sex, age, religious beliefs, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to: USDA Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or call (202) 720-5964.

If you are having problems regarding your Ohio Direction Card (the new food stamp card) please call 1-866-386-3071.

Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (PDF)

Request for Cash, Food Assistance and Medical Assistance (Spanish) (PDF)

Apply for benefits online

Cash and SNAP Assistance Standards Help Sheet (PDF)