Understanding and Engaging Under-Resourced College Students
Based in part on Dr. Ruby Payne's myth-shattering “A Framework for Understanding Poverty” and Phil DeVol and Terie Dreussi-Smith's collaboration with Payne on “Bridges Out of Poverty,” this workshop provides practical solutions and innovative possibilities. The focused professional development moves faculty and staff through a transformational process by first building understanding of the "what and why" of under-resourced college students and then moving on to develop "how-to" teaching and program-design strategies to help students succeed.
Who should attend?
• Anyone currently serving under-resourced college students
• Anyone working to prepare students for transition to college or other post-secondary programs
• Recognize the impact of economic class on student preparedness and
• Build on students’ existing resources, experiences and abilities
• Encourage student success through curriculum design and programming
• Partner with communities and businesses to support academic progress