Licensing Your Dog
Lucas County Board of Commissioners declared an emergency and encourage citizens to avoid public offices. Please do not come to our office unannounced, follow the guidelines below. We are open and operating under: S.E.T.
S-SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT: The Auditor’s Office will take appointments via Facetime, and conference calls. See contact information below. Email, text or call.
E-EMAIL QUESTIONS AND REQUEST FORMS: Please email requests and questions to email@example.com
T-TEXT A QUESTION TO (419) 309-7877
Last, please call our consumer hotline at (419) 213-4443 or (419) 213-4406.
Dog licensing for the 2020 season was December 1st, 2019 through January 31st, 2020.
Why Should I License My Dog?
According to Ohio Law, every person who owns, keeps, or harbors a dog more than three months of age, shall, on or after the first day of December, but before the thirty-first day of January of each year, register their dog(s) with the county Auditor. (O.R.C. 955.01)
License fees must be paid in full before the deadline of January 31st each year. Failure to register is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of $100.00. (O.R.C. 955.21)
Dog Licensing Fees
1 Year Dog License - $25.00 per dog
3 Year Dog License - $75.00 per dog*
Permanent Dog License - $250.00 per dog*
*3 year and permanent tags are non-refundable and are non-transferable.
In addition to the standard 1 year dog license, Lucas County dog owners may purchase a 3 year tag or a permanent (life of the dog) tag instead. Extended duration tags must be purchased from the Lucas County Auditors Office or Lucas County Canine Care and Control.
After the licensing deadline of January 31st, 1 year dog licenses will be assessed a penalty fee of $25.00 per dog.
How to Purchase a Dog Tag
- Online using the dog tag renewal system; or
- In person at participating agencies
- Payments may be made by Cash, Check or Credit Card. Checks need to be payable to agency where purchased. Payment options vary at each location tags are sold.
- Registration forms must be postmarked on or by January 31 to avoid late fees.
- If your check is returned to us unpaid for nonsufficient funds (NSF), your account will be debited electronically for both the face amount of the check plus applicable returned check and collections fees by ECOLLECT, LLC.
- If a dog needs to be removed from your account (i.e. deceased, transfer to another owner, etc.) and to avoid future mailings with the dog's information, call the Lucas County Auditor at (419) 213-4443.
Found a Lost Dog?
Designed to help reunite lost dogs with their owners, the Lucas County Dog Tag database can search dog owner information. The license on a dog's collar will identify the owner so the dog can be returned home. If a dog wearing a license is turned into Lucas County Canine Care and Control, the owner will be notified either in person or by phone and certified mail.
Dog License Agent
In order to serve as a dog license agent, please review the vendor requirements and the online agent agreement. Dog owners who purchase a dog license will also receive a Lucas County Loves Dogs reward card (key fob).
Lucas County Loves Dogs
Dog owners who purchase a dog license will also receive a Lucas County Loves Dogs reward card (key fob). This rewards card is good around Lucas County at participating businesses and organizations who want to thank citizens for licensing their dog. For more information, visit the Lucas County Loves Dogs web page.
One Government Center
Toledo, OH 43604
Phone: (419) 213-4406
Fax: (419) 213-4838
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.