Homestead Exemption Program
Lucas County Board of Commissioners declared an emergency and encourage citizens to avoid public offices. Please do not come to our office unannounced, follow the guidelines below. We are open and operating under: S.E.T.
S-SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT: The Auditor’s Office will take appointments via Facetime, and conference calls. See contact information below. Email, text or call.
E-EMAIL QUESTIONS AND REQUEST FORMS: Please email requests and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
T-TEXT A QUESTION TO (419) 309-7877
Last, please call our consumer hotline at (419) 213-4873 or (419) 213-4406.
The Homestead Exemption is a reduction in Real Estate taxes for those who qualify. The exemption, a credit on property tax bills, allows qualifying homeowners to exempt $25,000 of the market value of their home from property taxes.
Real Estate Homestead applications are accepted until December 31st of the year being applied for.
The mobile home annual deadline for Homestead is Monday in June 3, 2019.
Senior citizens or disabled persons that meet the following criteria, are encouraged to apply for Homestead:
- 65 or older. Please note: It does not matter what date you turn 65, apply the year you turn 65.
- Totally and permanently disabled. Disabled applicants must have a physician complete the certificate of disability form or submit a certificate from a state or federal agency.
- Applicants must own and occupy their home or mobile home or have ownership interest in it (i.e. land contract), as of January 1 of the application year.
- New applicants for 2019 must have an Ohio Adjusted Gross Income of $32,800 or less. For fast processing, include the 2018 Ohio Income Tax filing. Note: Household income includes income of the applicant and the applicant's spouse. Social Security income is exempt and not considered income for Homestead.
- 100% VA Certified Military Veterans may also qualify for Homestead.
- Information for DISABLED VETERANS